Forensic accounting is the combination of accounting with legal knowledge. Anthony W. Imbimbo, CPA, a San Diego forensic accountant, applies his accounting, auditing, and investigative skills in legal proceedings. There are three key areas a forensic accountant will focus on: litigation support, forensic accounting investigation, and dispute resolution.
Experience: With over 25 years of experience as a forensic CPA, Imbimbo and Associates have taken on numerous forensic accounting cases. To improve his knowledge of and receive training on the topic and industry, Imbimbo joined the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, the largest anti-fraud organization in the world.
Common Client Services:
- Divorce Services: The process of divorce can become very complicated and the role of forensic accounting firms is to “unravel the knot” for the spouses and court. They help to explain and simplify financial issues so that the matters can be brought to a close as quickly as possible.
- Economic Damage Analysis: This broader topic can include cases involving accidents, theft of assets, embezzlement, and loss of a job. The role of the forensic accountant is to interpret the financial and statistical data and calculate losses such as wages, benefits, business profits, medical expenses, interest, and vocational training.
- Fraud and Embezzlement: This is probably the most common form of forensic accounting and is frequently covered by the media. Embezzlement cases are when people take advantage of their positions in the company to steal the company’s assets. It can be as simple as unauthorized use of a credit card to the direct transfer of funds to a person’s bank account.
- Checking and Banking Fraud: Similar to embezzlement, banking fraud includes forged checks, deposits, and anything else related to banking transactions.
- Business Disputes: A certified public accountant is very important in the process of business disputes. The stakes are high in cases involving partner disagreements, theft of ideas, and copyright infringement.